The General Training Schedule Organize and mark your calendars!
Wednesday, May 08, 201911:00 AM - 12:30 PM
This session will focus on aspects or nuances of implementing the built environment strategy in small towns and rural areas. This session will include a panel of former/current recipients that have been successful in implementing these strategies. This session will help participants better understand how to engage decision-makers and local representatives to support their work, show participants what these types of interventions might look like in their context (e.g. main street changes, a walkable route to a school, or a crosswalk for a major road that bisects town).
- Identify examples/case studies of successful built environment implementation in rural areas and small towns.
- Describe how to engage county and local level decision-makers and representatives.
- Consider how to best apply the strategy to their context.
- Jamie Rae Walker PhD, RDN Associate Professor and Extension Specialist Urban and Municipal Parks, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
- Emiko Atherton MPA Vice President, Smart Growth America
- Cathy Costakis MS Healthy Community Design Consultant
Kristine Day, MPH, Public Health Analyst, DNPAO, CDC